Good news - I crocheted another six of the dot squares.
Bad news - I have been thinking all week about how much smaller they are than the ones in the pattern and have decided to restart the squares. Sob.
The pattern is worked on a 5mm hook, but the yarn is worsted. My yarn is dk and acrylic. Why do I mention the acrylic factor? Because, unlike wool, you can work at a tighter tension without the finished fabric looking stiff. That's what I'd normally look at if I was working with a smaller set of needles or hook. I'm using a 3.5mm hook because I'm a loose crocheter (honest, Nic, that time when I was crocheting so tightly at the IKL event was down to sheer fright in attempting double filet! I have NEVER had a problem before with not being able to get the hook in the stitch!). The fabric is compact and neat but small. The acrylic has me fooled! So late last ngiht I tried working on another dot square, with a 4mm hook. This square is still smaller than the pattern squares, but the crocheting is so much easier. I may try a 4.5mm needle tonight. It's a blanket, it's acrylic and already drapes, so I don't mind a bit more drape. I spent this morning before work having a quick look on ravelry. Some of the crocheters using this yarn have used a 5mm hook. Yikes! I also checked out other crochet blankets using this yarn and the vast majority have used a 4mm hook. I think I shall do one square at 4.5mm and compare to the 4mm hook. The 3.50mm hook squares are history, I'm afraid. That's nine squares which will be recylced.
But here's last Saturday's progress.
It's relatively early on in this blanket's progress, so I don't feel too bad. Looking forward to a bit of crochet tonight!