I'm working on Groovyghan on a weekend day. Really enjoying it. These photos are from last weekend.
Initially I started crocheting with a 3.50mm hook. Sounds small for a dk yarn, but this yarn is acrylic and I always find (in knitting, at least) that I need to go right down in needle/hook size, no memory in acrylic. After crocheting the whole seven dot squares plus a flower and a granny square I had a rethink on the hook size. My squares are a bit too small. So I've done two more squares, one with a 4mm and one with a 4.5mm hook. Both are bigger and there wasn't that much difference in the drape of the squares. My deciding factor boiled down to which hook I prefereed! A basic grey 4mm or a Clover 4.5mm. The 4.5mm needle won.
So now we have seven MORE dot squares. Totally fed up with these now. And a few flower squares.
(taken in the evening so they have a bit of an oragne glow!)
Then I had a practise at joining. With the previous, smaller squares I used a crochet hook, ss and joined them with rs together, going through the far sicde loop only (so that there was a tidy line of half stitch framing each square. Looks tidy but takes me time, and would look better with wool, where there's some memory in the yarn.
This time I've gone for a sewn join. You work with the squares side by side, working through corresponding side stitches, always going from back to front through both strands.
I've joined that first strip of dots. Quite painless!