This was the last weekend of ravellenic knitting, I had Plans:
Finish 100m Lightning Bolt hat
Start and finish 200m Cowl
Finish 400m Sprint shawl
I'd given up thinking i could also knit a pair of mitts and another hat. Good job, because I didn't get the cowl finished!
Saturday I finished the hat. Because I spent most of Sunday knitting I didn't get around to taking photos until 5.30 - the sun had already crept over the flats and MrC was out, so I had to resort to another selfie,
You can't see it clearly, but it's Lightening Bolts :)
Then the Cowl fiasco.
1) Find yarn - that took a little dithering
2) Choose needle size - that took even longer. I'd cast on, decide to go up a needle size, cast on, go up a needle size.
3) Have a good look at the knitting. And decide I'd like to try this pattern in a thicker yarn, not DK, possibly aran?
Repeating Steps 1 and 2 until I had something I liked. By now it was evening! The yarn looked good, but felt a bit too rough for me (not the merino silk blend softenss I expected). Checked the label. Damn, I'd picked up some BFL aran by mistake. Nothing wrong with BFL, but I'd wanted a super soft next to neck wool, BFL just doesn't do it for me.
Just before bed I check my 400m shawl. At least I can finsih this in a day. It's a super fast garter stitch shawl, with a garter lace side border, The shape is a boomerrang shape. you increase slowly on one side, and then cast off. The CO edge ends up being one of the bottom borders. I weighted my ball of yarn. Nope, not up to 70% done - more like 55%.
The pattern was written in a hurry for the ravellenics, so the lace border goes up just on the left side, one of the sides. The CO is plain. It looks fine wrapped around the neck, but I fancied carrying on, connecting the live stitches to a sideways knit border. So not only idd I have to knit 45% of the shawl, some would be a sidewasys knitted border, slowing me down. It was only a matter of about 95m, but I'm not a fast knitter,
I also had to calculate how much yarn I should have fo rthe top border.
3each live stitch needed two border pattern rows - 2x8sts = 16sts = about 16 rows = 8 garter ridges.
As the stitch count increases slowly, I thought that I could weigh my yarn, work four garter ridges, weigh my yarn to work out how much four ridges takes. Double that to estimate how much weight I'd need for the border. It worked out at about 24g, (This only wokds as you['re near to where you want ot start the border obviously, where the stitch count is more accurate, and it's an approximatin I have no idea what the difference is between garter stitches and border stitches, which involved yarnovers, decreasing and casting off.
As it turned out, I was highly accurate! I used 23g. Can't bloody believe it!
Luckily, MrC arrived home just before six, so I didn't have to use the shawl-draped-over-the-hedge shot.
I haven't blocked it - it's garter stitch and worsted weight, I find that garter stitch likes to shrink back a bit after blocking, so I'm not that fussed about washing it.
MrC was a bit worried about the point not being centred, I had to show him eht shpe, so he couls see that it was asymmetrical.
Lovely and squishy. Countess Ablazxe Cashmerino in a shade called Bitter Salt Water.