At last, finished photos!
Pattern: Honeybee Cardigan
Start/finish: 2nd June - 9th July
Yarn: Rowan Wool Cotton 4ply six balls
Needles: 3mm and 2.5mm for borders.
This was knit bottom up, seamlessly. When you reach the start of sleeve shaping you knit two sleeves, and then join sleeves and body and knit a fake set in sleeve top.
CO an extra stitch each front border, so I started and ended with a K3, meaning that the ribbing (K2 P2) looked better when I used that edge stitch for the button bands.
Started and ended RS rows with a knit stitch, WS rows with a purl stitch, making it easier to pick up for the bands.
Knitted narrower sleeves. Pattern has straight, rather than tapered, but I prefer a tapered sleeve. Instead of CO 84sts and working to start of armhole shaping I CO 60sts and increased to 74sts.
Not one of the best patterns I've used. I found the instructions, especially as the bee pattern has different stitch counts depending on which row you're on, a bit too vague. The pattern itself isn't difficult, the bee and lace panels are easy to memorise. It's the attention to detail which is lacking, and could have meant far less time fussing over how many sts to cast off, and which row to start various decreases on. Also the row tension was bizarre! Even after blocking, I was 33% out! And lots of other ravellers were out too, so the length was hit and miss. Luckily I managed to get it right! I added a few rows here and there to the armhole shaping, to increase the depth a bit.
The nature of the lace meant it grew (in width mainly) so gong down a needles size and knitting a smaller size was a wise move. I can't undertand though why the designer didn't just write the pattern for the correct sizing, taking into account that the swatch will never grow as much as an overall garment will in washing.
Overall though, despite my moaning, I love the cardigan, yarn and colour. First yellow cardigan I've owned!